Forest School Internship
The position of Forest School Intern comprises of assisting with Family Forest School sessions for Monongalia Forest School. You will be working with children aged 3 - 7 and their families, but not responsible for their oversight.
The aims of our Forest School sessions are to increase children's confidence, engagement with nature and the outdoors, social and emotional development, and physical knowledge and skills. Sessions are planned by the Director, and supported by our interns.
In particular, the Forest School Intern is expected to:
- Model and actively mentor young children in nature connection.
- Share their interest, enthusiasm, and knowledge of the forest, environment, foraging, outdoor survival, or other natural studies with forest school participants.
- Look after the health and safety of the group during forest school sessions.
- Assist in setting up activities and tending supplies.
- Communicating clearly with colleagues and participants.
- Offer support to the Forest School Leader.
This position requires work:
- During Forest School sessions Thursdays 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM and/or Saturdays 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM.
- Fall Forest School sessions start Thursday September 1st and go through Saturday November 5th.Locations rotate to locations within 45 minutes of Morgantown, WV.
- Occasional training or preparation sessions with flexible times.
- Ability to pass background check and fingerprint clearance.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs, navigate uneven terrain and sit comfortably on the ground.
- Experience and comfort in natural environments.
- Comfortable and enthusiasm for: sitting on the ground,getting dirty, being out in all weather conditions, touching and holding the creepy, crawly critters, moving through a variety of terrains, working with young children and their parents.
- Have reliable transportation.Interest in further growth in naturalist studies and mentoring.
- A nurturing, loving, creative and playful attitude.
Qualities, Characteristics, and Skills of the Ideal Candidate.
- Training and experience in natural studies, environment, or forestry.
- Training and experience with outdoor/nature based mentoring.
- Experience with survival skills such as fire building, backpacking, navigation with a compass, foraging, ect.
- Comfortable with small children.
- First aid training.
Compensation and Benefits:
Interns start at $15/hour. We will pay for your first aid training if you do not already have it. We will also provide you with professional references and internship for your resume commensurate upon performance.
This is not a full-time position and Monongalia Forest School does not offer any benefits aside from hourly pay.
Interested candidates should send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.